Starting A Food Business
Starting a Food Business:
Starting a food business can be very stressful and exciting. Certainly, there is a lot of research to do in order to determine which laws and guidelines pertain to your business. The exact state and local agencies that you will need to contact depends upon the type of business, type of facility and the location of your business. Some food businesses are required to have an owner or employee to get special food handling training to become a Certified Food Handler. Mobile businesses also have special requirements. Use the Food Program pages to find more information.

To obtain necessary permits and information you may need to contact some of the following agencies:
Department of Resource Management
Department of Resource Management
Consumer Protection Section
675 Texas Street, Suite 5500
Fairfield, CA 94533
(707) 784-6765.
Building Departments
Mobile Vehicles:
State of California
Business, Transportation and Housing Agency
Department of Housing and Community Development
P.O. Box 1407
(8911 Folsom Blvd.)
Sacramento, CA 95812-1407
Water, Sewer, Garbage Service
Benicia - Water: 746-4225

Benicia - Garbage: 747-0608

Dixon: 428-7502

Fairfield: 428-7502

Vacaville - Water & Sewer: 449-6276

Vacaville - Garbage: 448-2945

Vallejo - Garbage: 552-3174

Vallejo - Water: 648-4345
Septic Systems
If your food business will be using a septic system, contact:

Department of Resource Management
675 Texas Street, Suite 5500
Fairfield, CA 94533
(707) 784-6765
State of California Franchise Tax Board
8745 Folsom
Sacramento, CA
(800) 852-5711

Internal Revenue Service
(800) 829-1040
Business Information
Some agencies offer free information to assist you in planning your new business. Contact:
  • Small Business Development Center
    424 Executive Court North
    Suisun, CA 94585
    (707) 864-3382
  • Small Business Administration
  • Small Business Information Center
    (800) 827-5722