Food Related Complaints

Residents and visitors to Solano County deserve to have safe food on their plate. Our job is to assure that safe food is available to the public. That is why, at Solano County, we treat complaints about food businesses as a priority. Please use the following questions and answers as a guide on how to submit a complaint about food or a food business. We hope that all of your dining experiences in Solano County are pleasant and healthy.

I got sick from eating food, what should I do?
    If you are sick from eating food, contact your doctor. If you would like to make a complaint about a food-related illness, contact the Department of Resource Management at (707) 784-6765 or use our complaint page.

I bought package food from a grocery store and it was bad (moldy bread, rancid meat, contaminated canned product, etc). What should I do?
    For complaints about packaged food or meat products from a retail store, contact the State Department of Health Services Food and Drug Branch Consumer Hotline: (800) 495-3232

I saw a cockroach/mouse or otherwise have a complaint about how food was prepared in a restaurant. What should I do?
    If you have a complaint about unhealthy conditions such as uncleanliness, poor food handling practices, or unsafe food, contact the Department of Resource Management at (707) 784-6765 to make a complaint.  An Environmental Health Specialist will investigate the complaint. You man also submit your complaint via our complaint page.

If you have a complaint that is not related to unhealthy conditions, such as poor service, you should complain to the restaurant manager and/or the Better Business Bureau.