| || |
September – Parenting
Being a parent is one of the most fulfilling jobs in the world, however it can be tough at times. Here are some suggestions to help you feel better prepared:
- Try to set aside time every day to do something fun with your child. Even 15-30 minutes of dedicated time to connect will make a difference to your child.
- Be a good listener and use eye contact. For smaller children get down to their level.
- Ask open ended questions instead of yes or no questions to promote a more thoughtful response.
- Use a soft but confident tone to redirect children when they are upset.
- Tantrums usually happen because your child is hungry, agitated, lonely, or tired. Use the acronym H.A.L.T. to help remember these things.
Do not forget to take time for yourself too! Parents cannot be fully engaged if physically or emotionally exhausted. If you deprive yourself of rest, food, or fun you are more likely to get burnt out.
Positive Parenting Tips
7 Tips for Practicing Positive Discipline