Certified Producers and Certified Farmers' Markets

Direct Marketing
The intent of the Direct Marketing Program is to promote the purchase and consumption of
 California-grown produce and to promote access to California-produced agricultural

Certified Producer’s Certification 
A certified producer is an individual or entity whose farming activities have been verified by
the County Agricultural Commissioner of the county where the agricultural products are
grown. Inspection of the production location(s) is necessary to verify that the producer has
practiced the agricultural arts and produced the fresh fruits, nuts, vegetables, shell eggs,
honey, nursery stock, and cut flowers that they wish to offer for sale. After the inspection,
the producer is issued a Certified Producer's Certificate (CPC), which authorizes
the transportation and sale of certified agricultural products at Certified Farmers’ Markets.

Obtaining a Certified Producers Certificate in Solano County
The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) has developed a new database for CPC and CFM applications. 

To renew your CPC, Certified Farmers’ Market Certificate, or apply for a new certificate, please create an account and follow the steps here: cfm.cdfa.ca.gov
Video Instructions: How to Apply for a Certified Producer’s Certificate

In addition, please complete and upload the following documents as attachments to your application: 
Required Documents:
Documents that are required if applicable:
  • A list of authorized representatives that you approve to conduct business on your behalf at a certified farmers market
  • Authorization for Direct Marketing Sales by Certified Producers: CPC Authorization Please complete for each producer authorized to sell for you. Additionally, if you are selling for other certified producer(s), you must provide a completed Authorization from each producer. Do not complete this form for employees and/or family members.
  • A notarized copy of your current lease, farming partnership, share cropping, or similar agreement. Leases must be submitted prior to planting annual crops or bloom or orchard crops. Click the link to download a Certified Producer Lease Agreement for your reference and/or use. These agreements must include the information set forth in Title 3, Sections 1392.9.1 and 1392.9.2 of the California Code of Regulations. If this information is not included in your current lease, you will need to submit a new lease.
Let our office know once you submit your application and supporting
documentation to the database, so that we may review the information and
arrange to issue your certificate.A production site inspection will be required for
all new producers or locations.  

Please check our Fee Schedule and make checks or money orders payable to Solano County Agriculture Department. 

If you have questions or need assistance regarding the application process, please contact our office.

Phone: (707) 784-1310
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: (707) 784-1330

What Products Can Be Sold with a Valid Certified Producer's Certificate at a Certified Farmers Market
A certified producer can sell fresh fruits, nuts, vegetables, shell eggs, honey, flowers, and nursery stock listed on their CPC at a Certified Farmers Market. Commodities listed on the CPC may be sold directly to consumers exempt from size, standard pack, container, and labeling requirements. However, all products sold in closed consumer containers must be labeled with the name, address, and ZIP Code of the producer, with a declaration of identity and net quantity of the commodity in the package.

The producer may also sell "non-certifiable agricultural products." These are processed products such as fruit and vegetable juices, shelled nuts, jams and jellies, and wine. Though these products are not certified, they must have been produced or derived from plants produced by the producer. A processed product that originated from a fresh certifiable product must have the fresh product listed on the CPC.
Processed agricultural products may include, or have added to them, a limited number of ingredients or additives which act only as preservatives or are essential in the preparation of the product. Examples include pickles and cucumbers in a brine or vinegar solution for curing or pickling; flavorings added to shelled nuts which do not change the visual identity of the product; sulfites added to dried fruits and vegetables, and sugar, fruit juices, and pectin added to fruits to make jams and jellies.

The processing and storage facility must be under regulation by an authority acceptable to the State Department of Health Services to ensure sanitary conditions were followed during processing.

For processed fruits, vegetables and juices, jams and preserves, contact
the Solano County Department of Resource Management Food Program.

Helpful Tips for CPC Holders to Remember
  • You and/or anyone authorized by you and listed on your CPC to sell your produce on your behalf, must prominently display an embossed copy of your CPC while selling at a Certified Farmer’s Market.
  • All produce offered for sale must be listed on your CPC.
  • Any producer selling organic produce must prominently display their Organic Registration and/or Certification at the Market. You cannot commingle organic and non-organic produce; you must clearly separate these items when displaying them for sale. If you sell more than $5,000 annually, you must be certified by a USDA accredited certifying agency.
  • If you plan on producing and selling wine or approved processed produce, please contact our office for further information to maintain compliance with governing regulations.
  • https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/nsc/nursery/. If your total sales during a 12-month period will be less than $1,000, you can obtain a Fee Exempt License to Sell Nursery Stock from your local Agricultural Commissioner's office. They can also provide the appropriate application to be sent to the state.
  • If you are producing and selling citrus commodities, you must complete an Asian Citrus Psyllid Compliance Agreement. Please contact our office if you do not have a current agreement.
  • If you are producing and selling eggs you must register with the California Department of Food and Agriculture here:https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/AHFSS/mpes/esqm.html.
  • All scales used to sell produce must have a current seal from a California County Sealer of Weights and Measures. You can contact our office to have your scale inspected and sealed.
  • Any chemical and/or substance applied to your crops to control pests or disease must be reported to our office on the appropriate pesticide use report by the 10th of the month following an application.