The birth MUST have occurred within the last 12 months; otherwise you must file with the State department. For more information on how to register Non-Hospital births over 12 months, please visit the State website.

Non-Hospital births under 12 months old can be registered at our office by appointment only by calling (707) 784-8060. 

In order to register an out-of-hospital birth, the personal appearance of:

  • The physician and parents(s), or parent(s) with the physician's signed Affidavit, for physician attended births, OR
  • The midwife and parent(s), or parent(s) with the midwife's signed Affidavit, for midwife attended births, OR
  • The parent(s) and attendant (if appropriate), for non-physician, non-midwife attended births.


  • Driver's License or Identification Card issued by a U.S. Department of Motor Vehicles, U.S. Passport, U.S. Military Identification card, or Temporary Resident Identification Card
  • Proof of pregnancy from a physician, midwife (must be on letterhead with original signature)
  • If the child was taken to a neighboring hospital after birth, bring notification of birth letter from the medical records department
  • Newborn Screening Test (PKU) results
  • Declaration of Paternity and Acknowledgment of Paternity (if parents are not married, these forms are available in our office)
  • Worksheet for Out-of-Hospital Births   
  • Affidavit of Birth Information for Out-of-Hospital Births (DO NOT sign this form prior to the appointment.  It MUST be signed in front of a clerk)  
  • Notification of Registration of Birth which occurred out of a licensed health facility NBS-OH completed

 You can also download the "How to Register an Out-of-Hospital Birth" packet for more information.