CHILD HEALTH & DISABILITY PREVENTION (CHDP) PROGRAM
The Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) program provides free preventive health exams and immunizations for early detection and prevention of disease and disabilities for infants, children and teens that qualify.
Many infants, children and teens in Solano County have unmet health needs. Through the CHDP program, eligible children receive periodic preventive health assessments and immunizations. Children with suspected problems may be referred for diagnosis and treatment. Many health problems may be prevented or corrected, or the severity reduced, by early detection and prompt diagnosis and treatment. CHDP providers may refer your child for routine or necessary dental care that may be paid by Medi-Cal Dental for eligible children.
CHDP works with a wide range of health care providers and organizations to ensure that eligible infants, children and teens receive appropriate services. These CHDP providers include private physicians, local health departments, schools, dentists and community clinics.
- Infants, children or teens (from birth to 19 years old) that do not have health insurance
- Family income is less than or equal to the current Federal Income Guidelines
- Resident of California
Note: Proof of residency, income, or legal status is not requiredfor CHDP services (if deemed eligible, child will receive a free well child exam and immunizations and may receive temporary Medi-Cal. Proof of residency and income is required when applying for continuous Medi-Cal coverage).
- Infants, children and teens that do not have health insurance and whose family income is less than or equal to the current Federal Income Guidelines may be eligible for the CHDP services.
- Uninsured children can get a free CHDP exam and immunizations and may be enrolled into temporary Medi-Cal if they qualify.
- This health insurance coverage is only temporary. A parent or guardian must complete a Medi-Cal application to continue health insurance coverage with Medi-Cal.
Information for Providers
CHDP provides care coordination for patients receiving temporary Medi-Cal through CHDP. The CHDP & Foster Care Public Health Nurses assists families in obtaining diagnostic and treatment services in medical, dental and mental health problems identified during the health assessment. Providers may call the local CHDP Public Health Nurse and request assistance for their CHDP patients.
If interested in becoming a Medi-Cal provider, read more about the online Provider Application Process.
If a child does not have health insurance and needs a free well child exam and immunizations, call CHDP at 707-784-8670 for more information.
Ways to apply for Medi-Cal:
Read more and Print Medi-Cal application.
Health Care Program for Children in Foster Care (HCPCFC) is funded through the CHDP program and also provides comprehensive health care and documentation for youth placed in foster care system. HCPCFC is a public health nursing program located in county child welfare service agencies and probation departments to provide public health nurse expertise in meeting the medical, dental, mental and developmental needs of children and youth in foster care.
HCPCFC Public Health Nurses:
- Coordinate medical, dental and mental health care for infants, children and teens placed in foster care;
- Coordinate health services in out-of-county and out-of-state placements;
- Expedite referrals for medical, dental, mental health and developmental services;
- Provide medical education and training for foster care team, probation officers, judges, school Nurses and caregivers on the special health care needs of children placed in foster care;
- Participate in the creation and updating of the Health and Education Passport for every child as required;
- Assist children’s social workers to interpret medical report and medical findings;
- Assist foster caregivers to obtain timely comprehensive health assessments and dental examinations.
Read more Solano County Foster Care Brochure
Solano County Child Health & Disability Prevention (CHDP) Program
275 Beck Avenue, MS 5-175
Fairfield, CA 94533
Phone: 707-784-8670 or 1-800-826-3452